Careless driving tickets are very common in Florida. Just in Duval County alone, nearly 13,000 careless driving tickets were issued in 2013. If you pay the ticket, you will receive 3 points on your license. This could mean higher insurance rates over the next few years. Instead of just paying a careless driving ticket, consider hiring a Jacksonville Traffic Ticket Attorney to fight for you.
The Florida Careless Driving Statute reads:
316.1925 Careless Driving
- Any person operating a vehicle upon the streets or highways within the state shall drive the same in a careful and prudent manner, having regard for the width, grade, curves, corners, traffic, and all other attendant circumstances, so as not to endanger the life, limb, or property of any person. Failure to drive in such manner shall constitute careless driving and a violation of this section.
- Any person who violates this section shall be cited for a moving violation, punishable as provided in chapter 318.
In order to be convicted of careless driving, the State needs to prove three things:
- You were operating a vehicle,
- You failed to drive in a careful and prudent manner, &
- You endangered life, limb, or property of any person.
If the State can only prove two of these three, then you are not guilty. For example: If you were speeding on a wide road in the rain and spun out, but you did not hit anything, and there were no passengers in your car or other vehicles, people, or property nearby, then you did not put anyone or anything in danger. Under this example, the State wouldn’t be able to show how you endangered life, limb, or property. This means not guilty!
Careless driving tickets are most often used when there was a crash or there was almost a crash. If the state cannot show that there was a crash or there almost was a crash, a careless driving ticket will usually not stand. Did you know that rear-ending someone does not create a rebuttable presumption of guilt for a careless driving ticket? A Jacksonville Traffic Ticket Attorney will know these rules and many more to fight your careless driving ticket in court and argue for the best possible outcome. Contact us today to go over your careless driving ticket so we can discuss any possible defenses and decide what option is best for you.
Most tickets are handled for just $70 without the need for a trial. However, if you prefer, we are ready, willing, and able to take your ticket to trial.